Passion

Although we have a deep-rooted passion for couture elements throughout our designs, ultimately interior decorating and design should be beautiful, affordable and unique! Hopefully we will inspire you through our blog and website to create a beautiful space that you will love for years to come. Please visit our website for more inspiration!


Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Are you a know-it-all?

This is a little story that I like to call the curse of the know-it-all. We have all met one, seen one, avoided one or perhaps you ARE one! Regardless, I want to share a little story from my life that I hope will help you at some point in the future. Last week, I was asked to install what was described as a very simple drapery job. Original installer had hung the 4 motorized drapery tracks and the sheer drapes closest to the window. I was to arrive, hang outer drapes, program the remote control and steam out any wrinkles- easy enough (or so I thought). Upon arrival, homeowner had informed me of what they thought was a wiring issue. While, I don't claim know everything there is to know about home automation- I have the necessary contacts to find out what I need to get the job done. So while I was on the phone with the drapery track motorization company (and sending pictures to the company of the current wiring) they determined that the initial installer did not set up system with all correct parts to program the draperies to function properly. Furthermore, since the home automation system runs these drapery track motors an infrared remote would not work. I realized soon after this why the original installer was not asked back to finish the job, incompetence. As soon as the necessary parts arrive later this week I will be going back to program the system alongside the home automation company next Tuesday. I will never claim to know all there is to know about the home furnishings industry, that is a ridiculous thought. We live in a world where items are updated and outdated constantly. All I can stress is to have a great support team to call if you do have problems. Get to know your reps, sales staff, customer service and product manuals. It is not embarrassing to call a support line and get the right answers. It is however embarrassing to lose a job because you were too embarrassed you did not know everything. Hint: you will never know everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment